Event & ChiMe Submission Guidelines
ChiMe welcomes and invites contributions from members. The
Editor will determine if and when a contribution is published. All
contributions are subject to editing. Submissions must include the
name, address (postal and/or e‑mail) and phone number(s) of the
Opinions expressed in ChiMe and online publications are those
only of the contributors. Mensa has no opinions.
Material will be published anonymously if requested, if the
contributor's identity is revealed to the Editor. Copyrighted material
will not be published without permission from the copyright owner.
Other Mensa publications may reprint ChiMe material provided
credit is given to the author and source. Non-Mensa publications must
contact the Editor for reprint permission.
Phone numbers for the Editor, Activities Bulletin Editor, and
Advertising Manager can be found in the latest edition of
Editorial, Articles, Photographs, …
- Deadline: The first day of the month preceding the cover
- How to Send: Electronic files are preferred. E‑mail
the file to email@example.com . Send typewritten submissions,
at least a week before the editorial deadline, to the ChiMe
online typist listed in the latest issue of ChiMe.
- File Format: Send short articles and letters as plain text.
Longer articles may be attached to e‑mails. Please spell check,
proofread, and correct your submission before sending.
- Length: The maximum length of articles is 750 words;
notices, 300 words; letters, 200 words. Lengthy submissions may be
- Graphics: The formats for graphics are .tif or .jpg files.
Photos should be scanned at 300 dpi.
- ChiMe Deadline: The first day of the month preceding the
Virtual Event: You can also schedule a virtual event by filling out
our Zoom Event Form.
Meetup Event: Schedule an event on Meetup
by sending an E‑mail to our
firstname.lastname@example.org with the same information required for ChiMe.
Events submitted for ChiMe will appear on Meetup and our website,
but if submitted after the ChiMe deadline, they will only appear on
Meetup and our website.
- Notify: Send an E‑mail to our
- event title
- day of week (helps catch errors with date)
- contact information (e-mail and/or phone — neither will be publically displayed on the website)
- brief description (may be 300 characters, but 200 or less is preferred).
If your description is long, please consider also submitting an article about
your event to our editor(s) at email@example.com and in your
brief description to the activities editor
include: "See article elsewhere in ChiMe." The deadline for an article
is on the 1st of the month preceeding the publication month. See above for restrictions
in terms of length and format.
- RSVP deadline as well as if one cannot RSVP on Meetup because
you are not a member or that’s your preference
- how to identify the group in a public place (i.e., look for the yellow balloon, meet in lobby, etc.)
- how to get advance tickets, especially if required
- pet(s) in residence
- smoking policy (assumption is that there is no smoking so if allowed, please indicate this)
- what to bring (i.e., side dishes, snacks, BYOB, chairs)
- maximum number of attendees
- photo of yourself to be displayed as the host (see our
Changes: Should you need to cancel or change an event and it
is past the deadline (defined above), please notify our
Steering Committee by e‑mailing them at firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com .
This will ensure that our webdesign team and both the Meetup
and weekly event e‑mail list adminstrators get notified promptly.
Advertising materials and copy are subject to approval by the Editor.
The Editor will determine placement. No more than 10% of ChiMe
may contain advertisements, based on postal regulations. All ads will
be considered on a first-come, first-served basis. Mensa assumes no
responsibility for the content of advertisements or conduct of
advertisers. ChiMe does not knowingly accept ads that
misrepresent products or services offered. Full responsibility remains
with the advertiser. Terms and rates are subject to change without
- Deadline:The first of the month prior to the
- How to Send: Electronic files are preferred. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Specifications: Most graphic formats work. Camera-ready copy
is preferred. For ads requiring additional design work, a one-time fee
of $50.00 will be charged.
- Payment: Send a check payable to "Chicago Area Mensa" with
your ad. Payment must accompany or precede your ad. Contact the
Advertising Manager for a mailing address.
Non-members receive the following discounts for prepaid, consecutive
Ads of non-standard size or
shape will be charged for the space required to place them.
Thanks for being our 3,458th visitor to