Program Details 2021*
For most of recorded history, people searched for routes to southern India. Why? The world’s most popular spices come from a small area at the tip of the subcontinent. The pursuit of these spices has had a tremendous impact on world events. However, today, tourists largely ignore this region, which is a pity. Southern India is a remarkable destination that is rich in history, beauty, gracious people, and wonderful food. Come learn a bit more about the spice trade, the place of southern India in world events, and the delights to be enjoyed by a traveler today.
Cynthia Clampitt is a writer, food historian, and author. She has pursued her love of culture, history, and food in thirty-seven countries on six continents, including southern India. Currently, however, she is focusing on the American Midwest and has a new book coming out in March on the region’s remarkable history. Clampitt is a member of the Society of Women Geographers, Culinary Historians of Chicago, and the history section of the International Association of Culinary Professionals.
*Note: This program was offered last year and may or may not be offered again this year.
- Registration - Discounts for advanced registration are available through Friday, October 14th. (Note: Full payment is required by the appropriate deadline to qualify for the discount for which you registered. )
- Excursion - Sign up for the Excursion by Saturday, October 1st. Since space is limited, the deadline may move up depending upon demand.
- Vendor space - Please complete and submit a Vendor Application by Saturday, October 15th. If you have any questions after reviewing the Vendor Flyer containing all the details, contact the WeeM Vendor Liaison .
- Lodging - The hotel is offering a WeeM rate of $124 through Friday, October 7th, subject to availability. If the hotel block is full, please contact our WeeM Chair who will try to expand the block.
- Room and/or Ride Sharing - Let us help match you up with another attendee who is also interested in sharing a room or ride by submitting your information by Sunday, October 23rd.
- Speaker/Tournament Submissions - The deadline to submit your proposal for a program or tournament for WeeM was Thursday, September 15th.